Sunday, March 23, 2008

Don't Let The Blue Smoke Out

If I don't answer your calls or ignore your text messages, blame my phone.

It's fucked. Just today it failed to receive 2 calls. Switched it off and on, and lo and behold, Singtel CallAlert sent me a message telling me that I had missed 2 calls due to being unreachable.

And that's after a series of weird intermittent problems - random shutdowns, corrupted lists, et cetra.

Not to mention the ubiquitous Sony Ericsson Joystick Problem that I had fixed for now.



Yes, I opened it up and sprayed in some contact cleaner to clear out the grit in the joystick contacts.

=

The Microsoft mouse replacement situation has been nasty.
Thank you for your reply. I am about to process your request however when I checked your email I am unable to view the attachment for the order replacement form. Please make sure that you send it successfully. Thank you for your cooperation.

Then:

I understand that you already sent us the attachment however I am still unable to view it. Please make sure that you send the attachment successfully.


Got really peeved. After all, I was sending the form edited in MICROSOFT Word using MICROSOFT Outlook, to MICROSOFT. Just today I sent it to them using another email account (particularly painful, since Hotmail AND Singnet email were both down this morning so I had to settle for my 3rd choice Yahoo mail). Sent ANOTHER copy by fax (by lugging my laptop to the phone socket and using its fax modem) just to make sure they get it.

It's been more trouble than I had anticipated. Microsoft's hardware replacement workflow leaves alot to be desired.

Summary:

1. Google for hotline, find it only after sifting through a bunch of links

2. Call hotline, wrangle through a long series of automated choices

3. Talk to Guy 1, get a case umber from him, copy it down

4. Get transferred to Guy 2, read out case number to him

5. Receive assurance that returns form will be emailed to me by the next day

6. No returns form the next day. Guy calls, I tell him about that.

7. Receive 3 emails - 2 returns forms and 1 apology about the delay. The problem is that they have separate Tech Support and Returns departments and I'm being shuttled between both departments both on phone and email. Horrible.

8. I scan my proof of purchase, fill up returns form and email them.

9. Thank you for your reply. I am about to process your request however when I checked your email I am unable to view the attachment for the order replacement form. Please make sure that you send it successfully. Thank you for your cooperation. I re-send it.

10. I understand that you already sent us the attachment however I am still unable to view it. Please make sure that you send the attachment successfully. I re-send it again, with a fax for good measure.



Who let the blue smoke out of my electronics?

No comments: