Monday, January 7, 2008

KC has a random encounter with...

... a 5m long reticulated python!

Here's a pic of it I stole off Wikipedia:



I was minding my own business, cycling along Old Upper Thomson Road when I saw this behemoth straddling both lanes of the road.

Let's just say, good thing I'm already used to the SPD pedals and could do an emergency brake and unclip comfortably.

I nearly shat in my pants, seeing this snake that's longer than a car. Such pythons are the 2nd longest snakes in the world after anacondas. And yeah, they do sometimes kill human beings, though they'd prolly find the monkeys in the area more palatable than the sweaty cyclists.

It's too bad that it had slithered away before I could make sure I was in a safe position to take a photo.

Over the 4 or so years I've been cycling there, I've seen teeny tree snakes, monkeys copulating, monitor lizards, various roadkill, bright blue birds, but this is the weirdest so far!

No comments: